Saturday, April 5, 2008

Melbourne, AUS - Go Doggies!!!

Wrapping up a week in lovely Melbourne before I head off to Thailand. Its been really nice to spend more than a few days in one place, relax, and just enjoy the city. Went to Hamer Hall in the Vic Arts Center to see the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and choir perform Verdi's Requiem, one of my favorite choral works. I sung that it college and it took me back, way back, like 5 years ago:)

I also attended an Australian Football League, or "footy," game at the Telstra dome. Footy is like a cross between rugby and soccer, really fast paced and high scoring. So basically, the opposite of American football. Footy is insanely popular here; nine of the sixteen teams in the league are based in Melbourne. The game I went to was SO much fun! I went by myself but ended up sitting next to two girls who were rabid Bulldog fans and who insisted on buying me beers and teaching me all the Doggie songs and cheers. At halftime there was a fan contest to dance around and we won and were featured on the jumbo TV in the stadium! One of the girls received a prize of free cable for a year or something. The game was awesome as well - the Dogs were down during the first quarter, rallied in Q2 and Q3, and then obliterated the St. Kilda Saints in Q4. The girls tried to make me promise to come back the next week since I seemed to be good luck for the team. Tempting...

1 comment:

rick a said...

hey KB!
wow it seems like a year since i last saw you are talked to you. your trip has been amazing and i am completely jealous. someday i'll tell this place to get screwed and do something similar...

so many of your pics are awesome but for some reason the ones of you going through the crevaces in the glacier were really awesome. probably cause i love winter sports and high altitude stuff more than beaches and forest LOL.

anyway, keep up the good stories, they're a good few minutes of escape from the torture of the office and not seeing the sun

cya someday!
rick